The Speaker, in the Chair
Sir Paul Beresford
Sir George Young (Leader of the House)
1. MEDIA STRATEGY
- Agreed that a review of the rules for filming and photography should be carried out on the basis of meeting three criteria: security, avoiding inconvenience to Members and promoting public engagement (the review to be considered by the Administration Committee before being submitted to the Commission);
- Agreed that steps should be taken to improve public understanding of the work done by individual MPs;
- Endorsed proposals to strengthen the work of the House Photographer.
2. SAVINGS PROGRAMME
The Commission agreed that the savings programme should proceed along the lines set out in the paper, and noted the proposals on income generation, including the detailed work on the possibility of a charitable trust.
3. MEDIUM-TERM FINANCIAL PLAN AND ESTIMATE
- approved the Medium-Term Financial Plan for 2012/13 to 2015/16;
- agreed an Administration Estimate for 2012/13 of £224 million resource and £30.9 million capital; and
- agreed that the Finance and Services Committee should carry out further work on how to deal with the non-cash items in the Administration budget.
4. PAYMENT TO A MEMBER (MEC)
The Committee recommended to Mr Speaker that the costs incurred to date by Bob Russell MP in defending himself in an Employment Tribunal case should be reimbursed under the provision in the General Services Budget of the Members Estimate for “other appropriate expenditure within the ambit of the vote”, subject to a formal undertaking from Mr Russell to repay any sums subsequently received as costs from the complainant. It recommended that Mr Speaker reserve his position as regards costs incurred on the case in the future, but that Mr Russell be asked to provide estimates of such costs.
5. DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS
The Commission agreed to meet on Mondays 23 January, 27 February, 26 March, 30 April, 21 May, 25 June, 16 July, 10 September and 29 October, all at 4.30 pm.
6. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Commission/MEC will take place on Monday 23 January at 4.30 pm in Speaker’s House.