This webinar discussion will give members of a number of Commonwealth parliaments the opportunity to discuss their perspectives on climate change as international climate change negotiations come into focus.
UN negotiations are under way to develop a new international climate change agreement, with plans for the new agreement to be adopted in 2015 at the Paris climate conference. In the run-up to Paris, draft negotiating texts are being prepared for the Lima climate conference in December 2014.
During the webinar, members will also hear from a panel of authors from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) Fifth Assessment Report on Climate Change and will have the opportunity to ask questions about the science of climate change, the impacts and mitigation.
The event will be chaired by Lord Deben, Chair of the UK Committee on Climate Change with authors from each of the IPCC working groups:
Dr Francis Zwiers
- Vice Chair, IPCC Working Group 1 - The Physical Science Basis
- Director, President and CEO, Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium
Dr Rachel Warren
- Coordinating Lead Author, IPCC Working Group 2 - Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability
- Reader in Integrated Assessment of Climate Change, University of East Anglia
Professor Kevin Urama
- Coordinating Lead Author, IPCC Working Group 3 - Mitigation of Climate Change
- Former Director of African Technology Policy Studies Network and Managing Director/ Head of Research, Quantum Global Research
The webinar is open to Commonwealth parliamentarians. Please email Aaron Goater for more information or contact the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.