This note, which should be used in conjunction with the Green Book (July 2009) ( PDF 1.1 MB), gives advice on the payment of staff who are employed to work for APPGs.
It was effective from 1 April 2009 until 6 May 2010.
Committee on Members Allowances - Practice Note 3
1. Members who claim Staffing Expenditure may not use that expenditure to pay staff "employed to work wholly or substantially for All-Party Groups".
2. For the purposes of this rule, an All-Party Group is any group registered in the Register of All-Party Groups.
3. "Substantially" means that work for an All-Party Group takes up more than a quarter of the time for which any staff member is employed and paid by one or more Member from Staffing Expenditure.
4. If the staff member is employed separately to work for an All-Party Group and his or her pay in that employment does not come from Staffing Expenditure, then the time he or she spends in that employment does not count. Only the time that he or she is paid out of any Member's Staffing Expenditure is relevant.
5. This Practice Note enters into effect on 1 April 2009.
6. This Practice Note is subject to the Principles set out on pages 8 and 9 of the Green Book.