Resources quick links
This animation and supporting films and resources are an ideal starting point for introducing the House of Lords with key stage 3, 4 and A level students.
This teaching resource includes:
- a ‘Jump Start’ animation introducing what the House of Lords is (3.42 mins)
- a ‘Public Pops’ opinion poll video to spark classroom debate (2.04mins)
- a short ‘Day in the Life’ film with peers taking you on a tour of the House of Lords (5.45 min
Links to the ‘Public Pops’ and ‘Day in the Life’ videos are at the bottom of this page.
The videos can be watched as standalone resources or you can download the supporting teachers’ pack which includes:
- background information about the House of Lords
- debate cards to use alongside the ‘Public Pops’ film
- a History of the House handout
- instructions and worksheets for a Hold a Committee classroom activity
Time required: 30 minutes. (activity can be extended to cover up to two lessons)
Students must (all):
- Understand the purpose of a committee and committee procedure in the House of Lords
- Understand the purpose of the House of Lords in the context of today’s society
- Work as a group to debate the pros and cons of the purpose, function and routes into the House of Lords
- Have expressed their own opinions to others through discussion, debate and voting
- Understand that there are different arguments for and against the House of Lords and its current function and make-up
- Have engaged with and reflected on different ideas, opinions, beliefs and values when exploring a topical issue
- Have empathised with other people’s points of view
- Practical information
You will need:
- ‘Jump Start’ animation ready to view
- additional ‘Public Pops’ and ‘Day in the Life’ videos ready to view (optional)
- copies of background information and worksheets – provided in Teachers’ Pack (optional)
- paper and pens (optional)
- internet (optional)
You can order a free DVD which contains all nine House of Lords What, Who and How films by contacting:
Edcoms, FREEPOST RR59, Lakeside, Rochester, Kent ME2 4BR
Tel: 0871 472 3016 Fax: 01634 290 175
Please state the number of DVDs you require (maximum of five per school per order). Please allow 10 working days for your order to arrive.
A day in the life film
Follow Peers as they take you on a tour of the House of Lords and describe their work.
Public Pops films
A short video showing a range of different views on the House of Lords, to spark classroom debate.
Background information and suggestions for classroom activities using these resources.