Resources quick links
Use this Magna Carta lesson plan, drama and assembly to find out what led to the sealing of the charter and how this one document started a long journey to the rights and representation we experience today.
Suitable for Citizenship lessons exploring the origins of the rights of the people, or History, specifically as part of the KS3 ‘Magna Carta and the Emergence of Parliament’ curriculum.
Stories from Parliament is a series of audio dramas with supporting teacher resources (available to download at the bottom of this page) each telling a dramatic story from Parliament's past. Episodes are accompanied by original illustrations.
All images subject to copyright, click here for more information.
Time required: Film approx. 7 mins (with lesson plans: time variable)
Students will learn:
• Chronological understanding and knowledge of events, people and changes in the past through the story of the emergence of Parliament
• Historical events linked to Parliament and specifically the development of representation and democracy in the United Kingdom
• What Magna Carta was, how and why it was sealed and how it has impacted on our rights today
Using the lesson plans, students will learn to:
• Explore the past through research and evaluation
• Develop their ability to select ideas and explore different materials to use in their own work
• Learn about the different groups within Parliament
• Explore the use of different types of language and writing appropriate for an intended audience
• Develop their ability to prepare and present ideas to an audience
• Develop their ability to empathise with people in different situations and with different viewpoints
• Consider the role of historians and how the past is interpreted and represented
Using the assembly plan:
• Either by viewing or preparing an assembly, students will consider the roots of democratic rights and the Magna Carta
Resources are aimed at ages 7-14 in line with the English and Welsh National curriculum, the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence and the National Curriculum for Northern Ireland. They specifically relate to the ‘Magna Carta and the Emergence of Parliament’ strand of the history curriculum at key stage three, but can be used across the citizenship or history curriculum as appropriate.
They can be used separately to support planned schemes of work or together in three easy steps:
1) Show the drama as part of a lesson or in a school assembly
2) Choose an assembly or lesson plan activity to explore the story further
3) Optional: Use the fact file worksheet to offer students more information
Ideas for teacher or student led assemblies to accompany the video.
Fact file and background information to accompany the video.
KS2-3 Lesson Plans
Creative lessons to support exploring the video in the classroom, including create your own 21st century Magna Carta.
Download the script of the video.