Get Debating is a new series of classroom worksheets focusing on debating techniques, structuring effective arguments and finding suitable topics for debate.
The pack consists of four worksheets that students can use in the classroom, as well as a glossary of debating terms and accompanying teachers' notes.
The four worksheets are:
- Debater’s Checklist - A step by step checklist to get students ready for debate.
- Moderator's Guide - A guide for students to use to manage the tricky task of running a debate.
- In your School - Helps students find issues for debate in school and encourages them to survey their peers to decide which issues to prioritise.
- In the News Now - Helps students to identify current new stories and topics suitable for debate.
You can download the full set of worksheets by clicking 'Download worksheets' or you can download worksheets individually from the links in the above text.
These worksheets can be used in Citizenship lessons and also in English, Government & Politics and other related subjects where students are exploring complex topics and careful consideration of issues.
- Practise their debating skills
- Prepare structured arguments for debate
- Form opinions
- Justify their viewpoints
- Learn how to moderate and keep order of debates
- Research news stories and issues suitable for debate
- Learn how to campaign on issues at school
- Learn and use different debating terms and phrases
Curriculum Guide & Teachers' Notes
Grid demonstrating how the Get Debating worksheets relate to the curricula for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
doc file - 465 KB
Get Debating worksheets - Word version
These teachers' notes offer suggestions on how to use the Get Debating worksheets in the classroom.
pdf file - 708 KB