What is a democracy and what does Parliament do? In Danny’s words: Parliament is ‘a bit like your mum – keeping an eye on government (although government can stay up later).’ But there is more to it than that ...
- Learn what it means to live in a democracy
- Find out what Parliament is and what it does
- Understand the difference between the House of Commons and the House of Lords
- Learn about the difference between Parliament and government
- Find out how a government is formed after a general election by the political party with the most votes
- Understand why it is important to vote and decide who should govern the country
This video is also available on YouTube for you to embed on your own site or blog. Parliament’s Education Service has more than 30 educational videos on its dedicated YouTube channel.
Note that since this video was produced, the number of constituencies in the UK has changed to 650. There are now fixed-term parliaments of five years between general elections.