Under the Terrorist Asset-Freezing etc. Act 2010 (TAFA 2010), the Treasury is required to report to Parliament, quarterly, on its operation of the UK’s asset freezing regime mandated by UN Security Council Resolutions 1373 and 1452.
This report covers the period from 1 October 2016 to 31 December 2016. This report also covers the UK implementation of the UN’s ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida asset freezing regime (ISIL-AQ) and the operation of the EU asset freezing regime in the UK under EU Regulation (EC) 2580/2001 which implements UNSCR 1373 against external terrorist threats to the EU.
Under the ISIL-AQ asset freezing regime, the UN has responsibility for designations and the Treasury, through its Office of Financial Sanctions implementation (OFSI), has responsibility for licensing and compliance with the regime in the UK under the ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida (Asset-Freezing) Regulations 2011.
Under EU Regulation 2580/2001, the EU has responsibility for designations and OFSI has responsibility for licensing and compliance with the regime in the UK under Part 1 of TAFA 2010.
A new EU asset freezing regime under EU Regulation (2016/1686) was implemented on 22 September 2016. This permits the EU to make autonomous Al-Qaida and ISIL (Da’esh) listings. Once a designation is made under this regime it will appear in the table attached.
Annexes A and B to this statement provide a breakdown, by name, of all those designated by the UK and the EU in pursuance of UN Security Council Resolution 1373.
The table attached sets out the key asset-freezing activity in the UK during the quarter.
In November a Court of Appeal considered whether or not Begg met the minimum criteria for the grant of a Protective Costs Order and concluded that he did. The Court of Appeal thereafter remitted the matter back to the High Court for the Protective Costs Order to be granted.
Annex A: Designated persons under TAFA 2010 by name
1. Hamed ABDOLLAHI*
2. Imad Khalil AL-ALAMI
3. Abdelkarim Hussein AL-NASSER*
4. Ibrahim Salih AL-YACOUB*
5. Manssor ARBABSIAR*
6. Usama HAMDAN
7. Hasan IZZ-AL-DIN*
8. Mohammed KHALED
9. Musa Abu MARZOUK
10. Khalid MISHAAL
11. Khalid Sheikh MOHAMMED*
12. Abdul Reza SHAHLAI*
13. Ali Gholam SHAKURI*
14. Qasem SOLEIMANI*
1. BASQUE FATHERLAND AND LIBERTY (ETA)
2. EJERCITO DE LIBERACION NACIONAL (ELN)*
3. HIZBALLAH MILITARY WING, INCLUDING EXTERNAL SECURITY ORGANISATION*
4. POPULAR FRONT FOR THE LIBERATION OF PALESTINE - GENERAL COMMAND (PFLP-GC)*
5. POPULAR FRONT FOR THE LIBERATION OF PALESTINE (PFLP)*
6. SENDERO LUMINOSO (SL)*
Annex B: Persons designated by the EU under Council Regulation (EC) 2580/2001
1. Hamed ABDOLLAHI*
2. Abdelkarim Hussein AL-NASSER*
3. Ibrahim Salih AL-YACOUB*
4. Manssor ARBABSIAR*
5. Mohammed BOUYERI
6. Hassan Hassan EL HAJJ
7. Hasan IZZ-AL-DIN*
8. Farad MELIAD
9. Khalid Sheikh MOHAMMED*
10. Dalokay SANLI
11. Abdul Reza SHAHLAI*
12. Ali Gholam SHAKURI*
13. Qasem SOLEIMANI*
GROUPS AND ENTITIES
1. ABU NIDAL ORGANISATION (ANO)
2. AL-AQSA E.V.
3. AL-AQSA MARTYRS' BRIGADE
4. BABBAR KHALSA
5. COMMUNIST PARTY OF THE PHILIPPINES, INCLUDING NEW PEOPLE'S ARMY (NPA), PHILIPPINES
6. DEVRIMCI HALK KURTULU PARTISI-CEPHESI — DHKP/C (REVOLUTIONARY PEOPLE’S LIBERATION ARMY/FRONT/PARTY)
7. EJÉRCITO DE LIBERACIÓN NACIONAL (NATIONAL LIBERATION ARMY)*
8. GAMA'A AL-ISLAMIYYA (A.K.A. AL-GAMA'A AL-ISLAMIYYA) (ISLAMIC GROUP — IG)
9. HAMAS, INCLUDING HAMAS-IZZ AL-DIN AL-QASSEM
10. HIZBALLAH MILITARY WING, INCLUDING EXTERNAL SECURITY ORGANISATION
11. HIZBUL MUJAHIDEEN (HM)
13. ISLAMI BÜYÜK DOĞU AKINCILAR CEPHESI (IBDA-C) (GREAT ISLAMIC EASTERN WARRIORS
14. KHALISTAN ZINDABAD FORCE (KZF)
15. KURDISTAN WORKERS PARTY (PKK) (A.K.A. KONGRA-GEL)
16. LIBERATION TIGERS OF TAMIL EELAM (LTTE)
17. PALESTINIAN ISLAMIC JIHAD (PIJ)
18. POPULAR FRONT FOR THE LIBERATION OF PALESTINE — GENERAL COMMAND (PFLP-GC)*
19. POPULAR FRONT FOR THE LIBERATION OF PALESTINE (PFLP)*
20. SENDERO LUMINOSO (SL) (SHINING PATH)*
21. TEYRBAZEN AZADIYA KURDISTAN (TAK)
 Financial institutions update OFSI on individual account balances annually. The figures in the first row of the table are based on account balances which were last reported to HM Treasury on 30 September 2016. At the end of each quarter HM Treasury will adjust the figures to reflect any accounts that have been frozen or unfrozen in that quarter.
 For full listing details please refer to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/current-list-of-designated-persons-terrorism-and-terrorist-financing
 For full listing details please refer to: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/current-list-of-designated-persons-terrorism-and-terrorist-financing
* EU listing rests on UK designation under TAFA 2010
This statement has also been made in the House of Lords: