The Department for International Trade (DIT) uses multiple channels to provide support to UK companies looking for opportunities in the renewable energy sector in Africa. For example:
- UK Export Finance (UKEF), the UK’s export credit agency, has capacity to support UK trade and welcomes new applications for support from companies in the renewables sector. There is up to £2 billion available from UKEF for East Africa across all sectors. Further details on the products available from UKEF are listed on their website, along with country by country data. (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-export-finance).
- In April 2016, UKEF also joined African Trade Insurance (ATI), the pan-African export credit agency. As an ATI member, UKEF gains access to information about upcoming opportunities for exporters. ATI will also provide a platform to raise awareness among project sponsors and buyers in African countries of the UKEF support available to importers of UK goods and services.
- In 2016 UKEF signed a memorandum of understanding with the Kenyan government on renewables investment, to promote opportunities for private sector trade and investment by the UK in Kenya’s renewable energy sector.
- DIT has a High Value Campaign (HVC) targeting renewables exports to East Africa.
- DIT also provides reactive support to exporters through our International Trade Advisor’s (ITA) network. (https://www.contactus.trade.gov.uk/office-finder/)