The Department for Education does not hold information on pupils who received a place at a state-funded selective school but does hold information on the number of pupils enrolled in year 7 in state-funded selective schools in January each year. The figures for January 2013 are given in the table below.
Year 7 pupils in state-funded mainstream schools in England, January 2013
Number of pupils
Of which, percentage enrolled at
state-funded selective schools
(a) Pupils known to be eligible for and claiming free school meals
(b) Pupils with statements of special educational needs
(c) Pupils from a black or minority ethnic group
(d) Pupils who were looked after for at least 12 months in the year ending 31 March 2013
Source: School census and national pupil database
- Includes pupils who are sole or dual main registrations.
- Numbers are rounded to the nearest 5.
- A small number of looked after children records collected from local authorities could not be matched to pupil records in the school census.
- These figures exclude:
- pupils who received an offer of a place which was not taken up;
- pupils who enrolled in state-funded selective schools, but left the school roll before the school census day in January; and
- selective schools which do not have pupils in year 7.