Emma Lewell-Buck of the Labour Party has become Member of Parliament for South Shields after winning the by-election held in that constituency on
Thursday 2 May 2013.
South Shields by-election
The by-election in South Shields was called after the former MP, David Miliband, resigned on 15 April 2013.
The results of the South Shields Constituency Parliamentary By-Election were declared at 12:21am on 3 May 2013, and were as follows:
- Emma Lewell-Buck - Labour Party - 12493 votes - Elected
- Richard Peter Elvin - UK Independence Party (UKIP) - 5988 votes
- Karen Allen - Conservative Party - 2857 votes
- Ahmed Khan - Independent - 1331 votes
- Phil Brown - The Independent Socialist Party - 750 votes
- Lady Dorothy MacBeth Brookes - British National Party - 711 votes
- Hugh Annand - Liberal Democrat - 352 votes
- Howling Laud Hope - The Official Monster Raving Loony Party - 197 votes
- Thomas Faithful Darwood - Independent - 57 votes
Turn out was 39.3 per cent.
Image: PA / Owen Humphreys