Urgent Question on the local government finance settlement

18 December 2013

Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Hilary Benn, asked an Urgent Question in the House of Commons on the provisional local government finance settlement on 18 December 2013. The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Brandon Lewis, responded on behalf of the Government

Related Information

Provisional local government finance settlement

The local government finance settlement is the annual determination of funding to local government. It needs to be approved by the House of Commons.

The the provisional local government finance settlement for 2014 to 2015 is available on the Government's website.

About urgent questions

At times MPs may want to put an urgent question to a Minister. If a matter of public importance has arisen, which an MP believes requires an immediate answer from a government minister, they may apply to the Speaker to put forward such a question.

The relevant government department would be informed at once. If the Speaker agrees, the question will be asked after that day’s Question Time.

Once the MP has asked the main question, they are allowed to ask a supplementary question. Other MPs will then be called to ask further questions on the same subject.

Watching proceedings from the public gallery

UK residents and overseas visitors can watch proceedings in the House of Commons by visiting the public gallery.

This article was produced by the Commons Digital Outreach Team. Follow the @HouseofCommons on Twitter for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber.

Image: PA

More news on: Parliament, government and politics, Parliament, Commons news, Local government

Share this page