Members of the House of Lords will visit over 40 schools across England, Wales and Scotland during Parliament Week 2012.
The visits are part of the Peers in Schools programme, which gives secondary school students a taste of working life in Westminster by meeting and talking to peers. Parliament Week will mark the 1,000th visit since the programme began in 2007.
A number of members will be taking part including the Lord Speaker, Baroness D’Souza, who will be visiting St Leonard’s Catholic School, Durham during her visit to the North East of England.
Participating members of the Lords and schools
Monday 19 November
Wednesday 21 November
Friday 23 November
- Lord Aberdare - Crickhowell High School, South Wales
- Lord Bichard - Downend School, Bristol
- Baroness Butler-Sloss - West Exe Technology College, Devon
- Baroness Byford - Manor School, Northamptonshire
- Lord Crisp - Maiden Erlegh School, Berkshire
- Lord Dholakia - Michael Hall School, East Sussex
- Baroness Deech - Abbey School, Reading, Berkshire
- Baroness D’Souza - St Leonard’s RC School, Durham
- Baroness Emerton - Polegate Primary School, East Sussex
- Lord Faulkner - Ashlawn School, Warwickshire
- Lord Fink - ACS Hillingdon International School, Middlesex
- Baroness Fookes - The Hastings Academy, East Sussex
- Lord Foulkes - Chryston High School, Scotland
- Baroness Garden of Frognal - EGA School, London
- Lord German - Cardinal Newmam College, Pontypridd
- Baroness Hamwee - Richard Challoner School, Surrey
- Lord Haskel - Riverston School, Eltham
- Baroness Jolly - Saltash Community College, Cornwall
- Lord Kakkar - Riddlesdown High School, Surrey
- Lord Kestenbaum - St John’s Senior School, Enfield, Mx
- Lord McAvoy - Cathkin High School, Glasgow
- Baroness Maddock - Emmanuel College, T&W
- Earl of Mar & Kellie - Dumfries High School, Scotland
- Baroness Massey - Tideway School, East Sussex
- Baroness McIntosh - Birchwood High School, Essex
- Lord Mitchell - Palmers Green High School, Enfield
- Lord Mitchell - Wisdom School , Haringey
- Baroness Newlove - Birkdale High School, Lancashire
- Lord Oxburgh - King’s College School, Cambridgeshire
- Baroness Pitkeathley - Ysgol Ystalyfera, West Glamorgan
- Baroness Quin - Lord Lawson of Beamish, Durham
- Baroness Randerson - Cwrt Sart School, Neath, Wales
- Lord Rosser - West Somerset Community College
- Lord Sawyer - Castle View Enterprise Academy, Tyne and Wear
- Baroness Scott - Taverham High School, Norfolk
- Lord Sharkey - Beech House School, Rochdale
- Baroness Walmsley - Abbey Gate College, Cheshire
- Lord Whitty - Writhlington School, Somerset
- Lord Young of Norwood Green – Hatch End High School, Middlesex
The 'Peers in Schools' outreach programme sends members of the House of Lords into schools and sixth-form colleges across the UK to talk to young people about the work and role of the House.
Parliament Week is a national initiative that raises public awareness of Parliament and encourages people to engage with the UK's democratic systems and institutions.
Image: Baroness Byford at a Peers in Schools visit. Copyright House of Lords.