On 2 November Members of the Lords debated the future of energy policy in relation to the climate change challenge.
The debate was opened by Energy and Climate Change Minister Lord Marland. Labour spokesperson in the Lords for the Department of Energy and Climate Change Baroness Smith of Basildon responded on behalf of the Opposition.
Other members contributing to the debate included:
- Lord Jenkin of Roding (Conservative), Secretary of State for the Environment 1983-85 and former Chair of the Science and Technology Sub-committee II on Science and Society
- Lord Lawson of Blaby (Conservative), former Chancellor of the Exchequer and author of "Appeal to Reason: A Cool Look at Global Warming" (2008)
- Baroness Maddock (Liberal Democrat), former MP and Secretary of the Renewable and Sustainable Energy (PRASEG) Group
- Lord Smith of Finsbury (Non-Affiliated), former MP and Chair of the Environment Agency
- Lord Teverson (Liberal Democrat), former party spokesperson for Energy and Climate Change
- Lord Whitty (Labour), Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs 2001-05