Earl Attlee, the Government spokesperson for transport, opened a debate on Monday 5 July on safe and sustainable transport and its role in the UK economy.
Issues discussed in the debate on the case for safe and sustainable transport and its role in generating future economic growth and prosperity included the:
- contribution transport makes to carbon emissions
- contribution transport makes to the UK economy and its role in the UK’s economic future
- development of cleaner, ‘greener’ and sustainable technologies
engineering skills shortages
- place and role of aviation as a form sustainable transport
- use of railways for freight and passenger transport.
The House of Lords plays a vital role making laws and keeping an eye on the decisions and actions of Government. Members bring years of knowledge from many walks of life to apply an experienced perspective to examining legislation and public policy.
Image: Parliamentary copyright