John McDonnell MP has first place in the annual ballot for Private Members' Bills. Robert Flello MP, Chris White MP and Rebecca Harris MP came second, third and fourth.
The top ten MPs in the ballot are:
- John McDonnell, Labour
- Robert Flello, Labour
- Chris White, Conservative
- Rebecca Harris, Conservative
- Mr Greg Knight, Conservative
- Anna Soubry, Conservative
- Harriett Baldwin, Conservative
- Mr David Hamilton, Labour
- Joan Walley, Labour
- Mrs Sharon Hodgson, Labour
The ballot for Private Members' Bills took place on Thursday 10 June. The Bills will be introduced on Wednesday 30 June. Time for Private Members' Bills is limited and the ballot allows for a degree of prioritising. Several Fridays are set aside for debates.
A minority of Private Members' Bills become law but, by creating publicity around an issue, they may affect legislation indirectly.
Image: Parliamentary copyright