Work experience

The House of Commons offers work experience to secondary school students as part of their careers education, students must be over 14 years old and up to 18 years old to take part in work experience

What can I do?

The House of Commons is made up of a number of departments and offices. Roles vary from committee clerks to chefs, HR officers to craft & maintenance specialists.  To find out more information about the departments you can gain work experience in, please go to the Departments & Offices of the House of Commons webpage.

How do I apply for work experience?

We require all applicants for work experience to complete an application form. This form gives you the opportunity to tell us why you really want to do work experience at the House of Commons and what you want to get out of your time with us.

You can obtain the application form by emailing You will receive an automated response containing the application form and further information. It is important you read all the information. Once complete, please return to the same email address or by post to: Adele Yilmaz, Work Experience Co-ordinator, House of Commons, 3rd Floor, 7 Millbank, London, SW1A 0AA.

If, for any reason, you are unable to complete the form or you have any other enquiries, please email

Please note that due to the volume of application forms we receive, we are unable to guarantee places. It is very important that prospective students continue to look for alternative placements in the meantime.

Hints and tips

· Remember to do your research thoroughly before completing your application form.

· Research the departments and roles that we have at the House of Commons and think about why you want to work in a particular department/office and how you can demonstrate this in your application form.

· Be realistic in what you are applying for: We are unable offer you work experience with the Prime Minister. There are many other interesting and important parts of the House you may be interested in.

· As the work experience team receive such a high number of requests, please do not frequently chase up how your application is doing – we will respond to you approximately 3 weeks after the application closing date to let you know if you have been successful.

Working for an MP

If you would like to apply for work experience with an MP, you need to contact their constituency office directly. More information can be found on the w4mp website.


Commons Information Office

Contact us to find out more about the work, history and membership of the Commons.

Apply for work experience

Work experience application forms are available by emailing