4 March 2008
For immediate release
Attn: News Desks
Political, Foreign, Defence, Trade Correspondents
Quadripartite Committee renamed the Committees on Arms Export Controls
Since 1999 four select committees have come together to examine the Government’s policy on arms exports. Because there are four committees-Business, Enterprise and Regulatory, Defence, Foreign Affairs and International Development-the arrangement has become known as the “Quadripartite Committee”. While those who deal regularly with the Committee understand what the Quadripartite Committee does, the name is confusing to those who are not familiar with its work. The Committees have therefore decided to drop Quadripartite and instead use a title that describes their work. From 10 March “Quadripartite Committee” will be replaced with “The Committees on Arms Export Controls”.
Chairman of the Committees on Arms Export Controls
Roger Berry MP, who also sits on the Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Select Committee, said:
“Changing the name from the Quadripartite Committee to the Committees on Arms Export Controls will make the work that Parliament carries out through its select committees clearer.”
Notes for Editors:
1. Follow committees and parliamentary debates online:
2. Committee website:
3. The Committees on Arms Export Controls consists of four Committees which meet together to consider the control of strategic exports, including weapons. The Committees involved are: Business, Enterprise and Regulatory, Defence, Foreign Affairs and International Development. The Chairman for these meetings is Roger Berry MP, who is a member of the Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Committee.
4. The Committees’ main job is to review Government policy on licensing arms exports and licensing decisions. Each year the Government produces an annual report on Strategic Export Controls which the Committees scrutinizes.
5. News Release: Committees on Arms Export Controls - No. 3.
6. For further information contact Alex Paterson, Media Officer, on 020 7219 1589.