Session 2005-06 7 December 2005
The Committee has resolved to carry out an inquiry into Coastal Towns, with particular reference to the following issues:
1. To examine the case for special initiatives to tackle the needs of coastal towns.
2. To look at the work ODPM is doing to address the social, housing and environmental problems coastal towns face, and to evaluate whether it is effective, well-focused or adequately funded.
3. To assess the effectiveness of ODPM’s liaison with other departments, in key areas such as employment, migration, and social housing, and co-operation with local authorities.
4. To examine whether there is there a case for more specific regional initiatives, and whether enough attention is paid to regional disparities.
5. To consider the security of future funding for regenerating and supporting coastal towns.
6. To evaluate the success of the RDAs and other bodies in supporting and developing the economies of coastal towns.
The Committee invites written evidence on the points above and other relevant topics by
Monday 30 January 2006. Witnesses who wish their evidence to be treated in confidence should contact the Committee clerk in advance. It should also be noted that decisions about who to call for oral evidence are likely to be taken on the basis of evidence received by this date.[The form which such evidence should take is set out below B please note in particular the restriction on length and that wherever possible it should be submitted by e-mail or on disk].
Oral evidence sessions will be arranged and will be announced in due course.
Contact: Charlotte Littleboy, Second Clerk of the Committee 020 7 219 3290 /
Written evidence must if possible be submitted in an electronic format, either on disk or preferably by e-mail. It should be in MS Word or Rich Text format. If sent by e-mail it should for this inquiry be sent to
email@example.com. The e-mail must include a contact name, telephone number and postal address. The e-mail should also make clear who the submission is from. If sent by post it should be sent to the Clerk, ODPM Committee, Committee Office, House of Commons, 7 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA. Witnesses without access to a computer are respectfully requested to take particular care that submissions are legible.
Submissions should be as brief as possible, and certainly no more than 3,000 words. Paragraphs should be numbered for ease of reference, and it would be helpful to include a brief executive summary. Those submitting evidence are reminded that evidence should be original work, not previously published or circulated elsewhere. Once submitted no public use should be made of it. Guidance on the submission of evidence can be found at:
Further details of the Committee, including its current membership, can be found on the Committee's homepage at
http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_committees/odpm.cfm Information about the Committee can also be obtained from 020 7219 4972.