TUESDAY 11 JANUARY 2005
FOR FORWARD PLANNING
LORDS RADIOACTIVE WASTE MANAGEMENT DEBATE
A debate on the Lords Science and Technology Committee's scathing report Radioactive Waste Management will take place in the House of Lords on Wednesday 12 January, starting at around 7.30-8 pm.
The Committee condemned Government delays in finding a long-term solution to managing radioactive waste. It was also dismayed by the lack of scientific expertise on the advisory body (CoRWM) tasked by the Government with assessing the various options.
Lord Oxburgh will open the debate by asking the Government when they expect to have a long-term strategy in place for managing the UK's radioactive waste.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
1. Lord Oxburgh is the former Chairman of the Lords Science and Technology Committee. Lord Whitty, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at DEFRA, will speak for the Government.
2. CoRWM is the Committee on Radioactive Waste Management.
3. The report Radioactive Waste Management (published 10.12.04) is available at:
4. The Committee's press release is available at:
5. You can follow the debate live via
6. The text of the debate will be available via:
7. A list of members speaking in the debate can be found at: