EVIDENCE SESSION ON DFID AND CHINA
Wednesday 21 May 2008, 10.00 am and 2.15 pm
Committee Room 5, House of Commons
At 10.00 am
- James Oporia-Ekwaro, Senior Lecturer, University College London
- Daniel Large, Research Director, Africa-Asia Centre, School of Oriental and African Studies
At 2.15 pm
- Dr Sarah Cook, Research Fellow, Institute of Development Studies
- Dr Gerry Bloom, Research Fellow, Institute of Development Studies
- David Daniels, YozuMannion Limited
At 3.15 pm
- Julie Thomas, WWF China-Africa Policy Adviser
- David Mepham, Director of Policy, Save the Children
- Matthew Foster, Regional Director, South and East Asia, VSO
Key issues which are being examined in the inquiry are:
- The appropriate size and scope of DFID's aid programme in China;
- Aid effectiveness and DFID's 'added value' compared to other donors to China;
- DFID's support to poverty reduction in China in both rural and urban settings and especially to basic services including education, health, sanitation and water;
- The effectiveness of the UK Government's strategy to engage with China on international development, especially on Africa, climate change, sustainable development, poverty reduction and energy security;
- China's relationship with multilateral development institutions;
- DFID's strategy for phasing out its bilateral programme by 2011; and
- DFID's support to addressing gender issues in China.
The first session will focus on China's role as a development actor, especially in Africa where its investments and interests have grown substantially over recent years.
The second session will be made up of two panels featuring academic and NGO representatives. It will focus on aid and development priorities within China and the evolving nature of the UK's aid relationship with China.
Committee Membership is as follows: Malcolm Bruce MP (Chairman, Lib Dem), John Battle MP (Lab), Hugh Bayley MP (Lab), John Bercow MP (Con), Richard Burden MP (Lab), Mr Stephen Crabb MP (Con), Daniel Kawczynski MP (Con), Ann McKechin MP (Lab), Jim Sheridan MP (Lab), Mr Marsha Singh MP (Lab), Sir Robert Smith MP (Lib Dem).
Committee Contact: Chloe Challender, 020 7219 1522, or
Media Enquiries: Alex Paterson, 020 7219 1589, or
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications/Reports/Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge Street, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474)