EVIDENCE SESSION ON THE HUMANITARIAN AND DEVELOPMENT SITUATION IN THE OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES
Wednesday 30 April 2008, 10.00am
Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
The Ad Hoc Liaison Committee for aid to the Palestinian Authority will meet in London on 2 May. This is the first major gathering of donors since the Paris Donors Conference in December 2007.
Ahead of this meeting the International Development Committee is holding the first evidence session in its inquiry into the humanitarian and development situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
The International Development Committee will also be taking evidence in public from Rt Hon Tony Blair, Middle East Quartet Representative, on 8 May. Further details will be released shortly.
- John Ging, Director of UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) Operations, Gaza (Witness will be giving evidence via video-link)
At 11.00am (approx):
- David Freud, Chief Executive Officer, The Portland Trust
At 11.30am (approx):
- Adam Leach, Regional Director, Middle East and North Africa, Oxfam GB
Key issues to be examined in the inquiry are:
- The humanitarian situation in Gaza, including access to fuel, food and health services;
- Progress in the Middle East Peace Process since Annapolis and the Paris donor conference;
- Political developments in the OPTs since June 2007;
- Implementation of the Agreement on Movement and Access;
- The impact of restarting direct aid to the Palestinian Authority;
- The effectiveness of the Temporary International Mechanism;
- The role of the Middle East Quartet;
- The response of the UK Government to the changing situation, and in particular the contribution of the Department for International Development
Committee Membership is as follows: Malcolm Bruce MP (Chairman, Lib Dem), John Battle MP (Lab), Hugh Bayley MP (Lab), John Bercow MP (Con), Richard Burden MP (Lab), Mr Stephen Crabb MP (Con), Daniel Kawczynski MP (Con), Ann McKechin MP (Lab), Jim Sheridan MP (Lab), Mr Marsha Singh MP (Lab), Sir Robert Smith MP (Lib Dem).
Committee Contact: Anna Dickson, 020 7219 2738, or
Media Enquiries: Alex Paterson, 020 7219 1589, or
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications/Reports/Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge Street, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474)