EVIDENCE SESSION ON DFID AND THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
Thursday 24 April 2008, 10.30am
Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Gillian Merron MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development and DFID officials
This will be the second and final evidence session in the Committee’s inquiry into DFID and the African Development Bank (AfDB). It will examine how DFID can best assist the AfDB to achieve its potential as a lender and explore the extent to which AfDB development objectives match those of the UK.
Key issues to be examined in the inquiry are:
- The AfDB’s priorities and objectives
- The leadership role of the AfDB - regionally and on global issues
- Coherence between DFID objectives in Africa and those of the AfDB
- Managing multiple demands of AfDB shareholders
- The structure and administration of the AfDB
- The relationship between the AfDB and the World Bank
Committee Membership is as follows: Malcolm Bruce MP (Chairman, Lib Dem), John Battle MP (Lab), Hugh Bayley MP (Lab), John Bercow MP (Con), Richard Burden MP (Lab), Stephen Crabb MP (Con), Daniel Kawczynski MP (Con), Ann McKechin MP (Lab), Jim Sheridan (Lab), Mr Marsha Singh MP (Lab), Sir Robert Smith MP (Lib Dem).
Media Enquiries: Alex Paterson, 020 7219 1589, or
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications/Reports/Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge Street, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474)