2 March 2009
FAC TO QUESTION MILIBAND ON TORTURE ALLEGATIONS:
ANNOUNCEMENT OF FUTURE ORAL EVIDENCE
The Foreign Affairs Committee today announced that it will be taking oral evidence from the Foreign Secretary on the case of Binyam Mohamed and other topics, as part of its annual inquiry into human rights.
The session will focus on a number of issues which relate to the responsibilities of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for securing the human rights of British citizens and others overseas.
Specific topics will include the following:
- The case of Binyam Mohamed
- Allegations of UK complicity in torture in Pakistan
- Transfer of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Allegations of abuse at the British Embassy in Iraq
- The oversight of overseas contractors employed by UK Posts.
The session will form part of the Committee's forthcoming inquiry into the FCO's annual
Human Rights Report. The FCO's report is expected to be published in mid-March 2009. Dates for the evidence session with Mr Miliband, and for other oral evidence in this inquiry, will be announced in due course.
Members of the press with enquiries should contact Alex Paterson, Select Committee Media Officer, on 020 7219 1589, or 07917 488488, or by email to
1. The Foreign Affairs Committee is responsible for scrutinising the "expenditure, administration and policy" of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and its associated public bodies. The text of all Committee publications, including Reports, can be found on the Committee's website at
2. Committee meetings are open to the public. Access is via Cromwell Green Entrance for the House of Commons Committee Rooms and the main entrance on the Thames Embankment for Portcullis House Rooms. It is advisable to allow about 10 minutes to pass through security checks. There is no system for the prior reservation of seats in the Committee Rooms.
membership of the Committee is as follows: Mike Gapes (Chairman), Labour, Rt Hon Sir Menzies Campbell, Liberal Democrats, Mr Fabian Hamilton, Labour, Rt Hon David Heathcoat-Amory, Conservative, Mr John Horam, Conservative, Mr Eric Illsley, Labour, Mr Paul Keetch, Liberal Democrats, Andrew Mackinlay, Labour, Mr Malcolm Moss, Conservative, Sandra Osborne, Labour, Mr Greg Pope, Labour, Mr Ken Purchase, Labour, Rt Hon Sir John Stanley, Conservative, Ms Gisela Stuart, Labour
Specific Committee Information: Tel 020 7219 6394, email -
Media Enquiries: Alex Paterson, Tel 020 7219 1589, 07917 488 488 email -
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications / Reports / Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge St, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474). Committee reports, press releases, evidence transcripts, Bills; research papers, a directory of MPs, plus Hansard (from 8 am daily) and much more, can be found on