Thursday 19 March 2009
Sir Stuart Bell (in the Chair)
Mr Clive Betts
Ms Mary Creagh
Mr Frank Doran
Sir Alan Haselhurst
Mr Robert Key
Mr Brooks Newmark
Mr John Spellar
1. TERMLY REPORT ON SECURITY EXPENDITURE
The Committee took note of the paper.
2. CATERING AND RETAIL SERVICES TRADING FORECAST
The Committee agreed that:
- The target for 2009/10 should be a subsidy level of 41% of operating costs;
- There should in subsequent years be a cash limit on the subsidy, subject to further work on how this would operate;
- There should be benchmarking of prices in relation to comparable retail or employers' outlets, but this should inform rather than dictate prices; price changes would be made annually or in-year in the light of benchmarking (rather than there being an overall flat-rate increase), but the Committee would retain its discretion over individual items;
- Price increases should be no more than 5% on any item in one year;
- The proposal in the paper relating to service charges should not be pursued;
- The proposal in the paper relating to prices in the Members' Dining Room should be implemented.
3. PENSION ARRANGEMENTS FOR COLLECTIVELY-EMPLOYED STAFF
The Committee agreed that a decision would be made at the next meeting whether or not the information requested from party whips had been received.
4. OPERATIONAL ASSURANCE UNIT
The Committee took note of the paper, and agreed to consider the structure and cost of the OAU further at the next meeting.
[Adjourned till Thursday 30 April 2009 at 9.50 am.