Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation
The first evidence session on Reducing emissions from deforestation will take place on Tuesday 9 December and the second on Tuesday 16 December. The main purpose of these sessions is to explore the potential use of carbon markets to address deforestation. Related issues such as the timber trade are also likely to be covered.
Tuesday 9 December 2008, Committee Room 5
- Johan Eliasch1 (Prime Minister´s Special Representative on Deforestation and Clean Energy)
- Jonathan Brearley (Director, Office of Climate Change)
- Graham Floater (Project Team Coordinator, Eliasch Review, Office of Climate Change)
- Charlie Kronick (Senior Climate Advisor, Greenpeace)
- Robin Webster (Senior Campaigner for Climate Change, Friends of the Earth)
Tuesday 16 December 2008, Committee Room 5
- Eric Bettelheim (Executive Chairman, Sustainable Forestry Management Ltd)
- Abyd Karmali (President, Carbon Markets and Investors Association)
- Duncan Brack and Alison Hoare (Associate Fellows, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House)
The Committee normally meets in a committee room at Westminster. These sessions are open to the public on a first come, first served basis. There may be last minute changes of room and meetings may be held either in the Palace of Westminster or in Portcullis House.
1. Deforestation contributes 17% of annual greenhouse gas emissions4% more than global transport. It is therefore a key issue in international climate negotiations.
2. Johan Eliash is the Prime Minister´s Special Representative on Deforestation and Clean Energy. Since 1995 he has been chairman of sporting goods manufacturer Head. He is also co-chairman of Cool Earth, a charity he established with Frank Field MP. Mr Eliasch was commissioned by the Prime Minister to undertake an independent review of the role finance mechanisms could play in reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation. His findings were published in October 2008 as The Eliasch Review.
Chairman: Mr Tim Yeo, MP
Mr Gregory Barker MP Mr Nick Hurd MP Mr Graham Stuart MP
Mr Martin Caton MP Mr Mark Lazarowicz MP Jo Swinson MP
Mr Colin Challen MP Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger MP Dr Desmond Turner MP
Mr David Chaytor MP Shahid Malik MP Joan Walley MP
Martin Horwood MP Mrs Linda Riordan MP Phil Woolas MP*
* The Minister for the Environment has ex-officio membership of the Committee in like manner to the Financial Secretary's membership of the Committee of Public Accounts
4. More information on the Committee's reports can be found on the Committee website at:
Media Enquiries: Laura Kibby, 020 7219 0718 or via email:
Specific Committee Information: Details of all the Committee's press releases and inquiries, together with its Reports, oral evidence and other publications, are available on the Committee's Internet home page, which can be found at:
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications / Reports / Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge St, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474). Committee reports, press releases, evidence transcripts, Bills; research papers, a directory of MPs, plus Hansard (from 8am daily) and much more, can be found on www.parliament.uk