Press Notice 01
22 November 2007
The Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, Defence, Foreign Affairs and International Development Committees are to conduct an inquiry into Government’s 2006 Annual Report on Strategic Export Controls and the 2007 Quarterly reports on Strategic Export Controls.
The Committees would welcome written evidence on the Government’s Reports and UK’s system and policy for licensing arms exports by Friday 14 December 2007.
As well as taking written evidence the Committee expects to take oral evidence starting with the Ministry of Defence on 17 January 2008. Press notices about the oral evidence sessions will be issued nearer the sessions.
Guidelines for the submission of evidence
Evidence should be submitted in Word format (version no later than word 2002), and should be sent via e-mail to
[email protected] . The body of the e-mail must include a contact name, telephone number and postal address. The e-mail should also make clear who the submission is from.
Submissions should be as brief as possible, and certainly no more than 3,000 words. Paragraphs should be numbered for ease of reference, and the document should include a brief executive summary. Those submitting evidence are reminded that evidence should be original work, not previously published or circulated elsewhere. Once submitted no public use should be made of it, but those wishing to publish their evidence before it is published by the Committee are invited to contact the Clerk of the Committee to obtain permission to do so. Guidance on the submission of evidence can be found at:
Notes for Editors:
- Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
- Committee website:
- The Quadripartite Committee consists of four Committees that meet together to consider the control of strategic exports, including weapons. The Committees involved are: Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, Defence, Foreign Affairs and International Development. The Chairman for these meetings is Roger Berry MP, who is a member of the Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Committee.
- The Committees’ main job is to review Government policy on licensing arms exports and licensing decisions. Each year the Government produces an annual report on Strategic export Controls which the Committee scrutinizes.
- The Government’s Reports can be viewed at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s webpages:
- News Release: Quadripartite Committee - No. 1.
For further information contact Alex Paterson, Media Officer, on 020 7219 1589. For other enquires contact the Clerk of the Quadripartite Committee on 020 7219 8367.