- The Speaker, in the Chair
- Tom Brake
- Andrea Leadsom
- Stewart Hosie
- Valerie Vaz
- Dame Rosie Winterton
- Ian Ailles (Director General of the House of Commons)
- David Natzler (Clerk of the House)
Present: by conference call
- Dame Janet Gaymer (External member)
- Sir Paul Beresford
- Jane McCall (External member)
1. Northern Estate and Restoration and Renewal Update
a. endorsed the principle of the construction of a contingency parliamentary chamber on the Northern Estate subject to further investigation of time and cost.
b. endorsed the change in direction in the Northern Estate Programme (NEP) and Richmond House from a limited refurbishment to a legacy building project inside the secure perimeter.
2. The Commission endorsed the incorporation of new security advice into NEP, broadly incorporating the Murphy proposals.
3. The Commission supported further exploration by staff of governance and implementation delivery models for NEP.
4. The Commission noted the probable necessity of:
I. Pursuing options to increase decant space within the secure perimeter.
II. Reducing space requirements for Members and their staff during decant within reasonable parameters.
III. A policy of rolling decant, permitting more than one relocation for individual Members, over a six year period.
IV. Some flexibility in the House’s standard procedures.
V. Acceptance of additional noise, in the interests of accelerating and reducing cost of construction works.
5. Date of next meeting
The next meeting of the Commission will take place on Monday 30 October at 5.00 pm in Speaker’s House.
Image copyright: PC