The Lords Science and Technology Committee will hear from Japanese Atomic Energy Commission & UK Science Minister during a number of evidence sessions.
The committee will hear evidence this week for its inquiry into UK nuclear research and development capabilities.
- Science Minister, Rt Hon David Willetts MP, on Tuesday 5 July at 15.10
- Atomic safety experts on Wednesday 6 July at 10.40
- Experts on the social impact of nuclear energy, and public perceptions on Wednesday 6 July at 11.40.
The committee will explore areas including
- The Minister's plans to address the UK's ageing nuclear workforce
- The implications of Japan's Fukushima nuclear station crisis for nuclear safety in the UK, and what research is needed, both nationally and internationally, to further improve nuclear safety
- How the risks and benefits of nuclear energy are communicated to the public and how the public are involved in dialogue about future energy policies