The Select Committee on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 takes evidence from Rt Hon. Michael Gove MP and Lord Gardiner of Kimble on the effectiveness of the 2006 Act. The session will also consider Defra's capacity to serve the diverse needs of rural communities and promote the rural economy.
Tuesday 16 January, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Lord Gardiner of Kimble, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Rural Affairs and Biosecurity, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- What plans does the Government have for establishing a new body to provide environmental oversight and accountability following Brexit?
- How will planning and reporting on biodiversity which is currently required by EU law be maintained following the UK’s departure from the EU?
- What steps are Defra taking to support the rural economy? How does Defra work with other Government departments to ensure that policies are ‘rural-proofed’?
- How does Defra ensure that it is listening to the whole range of rural voices?