The EU Select Committee held an oral evidence session as part of the EU enlargement inquiry on Tuesday 15 January in Committee Room 2A. The Committee heard evidence from The Rt Hon David Lidington MP, Minister for Europe; Tim Hemmings, Head of the Future of Europe Department; and Owen Jenkins, Head of the Western Balkans and Enlargement Department, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Areas covered in the questioning included:
- The current progress that countries in the Western Balkans, Turkey and Iceland are making towards eventual EU membership;
- How the enlargement process operates since the 2007 enlargement to Romania and Bulgaria;
- The impact of previous enlargements on the UK, and the possible impact of any future enlargements;
- The impact of enlargement on the EU and key policy areas, such as the internal market and energy policy; and
- The December Council Conclusions on economic and monetary union.