The House of Lords Home Affairs, Health and Education EU Sub-Committee will question representatives from the British Red Cross, the East Coast Flood Group and the European Commission on Wednesday 15 January, as part of the Committee’s ongoing inquiry into the future EU Justice and Home Affairs (JHA) programme.
Wednesday 15 January, Committee Room 3, Palace of Westminster
- Simon Lewis, Head of Emergency Planning and Response, British Red Cross;
- Hans Das, Civil Protection Policy Unit, European Commission; and
- David Powell, Head of Emergency Planning, Lincolnshire County Council and Co-founder & Chair of the East Coast Flood Group.
The witnesses are likely to face questions including:
- How effectively do Member States engage with each other in tackling natural disasters and how effectively is the EU working with other international parties on this issue?
- What do you think of the civil protection and disaster management priorities set out in the Stockholm Programme?
- Are the financial provisions in the Multiannual Financial Framework sufficient to cover the EU’s requirements in this area?
- How might increased public-private partnership and civil society engagement in addressing disaster resilience be facilitated and encouraged?