The House of Lords EU Committee will this week take evidence from Ed Davey MP, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change in a one-off session on the EU’s energy and climate change.
Wednesday 9 July, Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
- Rt Hon Edward Davey MP, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change
Areas the Committee will cover with Mr Davey include:
- Is he confident that the Government’s proposed energy capacity mechanism can be delivered and does he believe the European Commission will give the plan state aid approval?
- How significant is the European Council’s decision to include energy and climate change as one of the overarching priorities for the EU and how will the European Commission turn that aspiration into action
- What action is being taken to persuade Member States still heavily reliant on coal to accept ambitious carbon reduction plans?
- What is the Government doing to facilitate energy interconnections between Member States?
- Is he confident an ambitious international agreement on climate change can be reached next year and following his recent visit to Washington DC, what is the level of support for such an agreement in the US?