EU Commission officials will be quizzed by the Lords Agriculture, Fisheries and Environment EU Sub-Committee on Wednesday 29 February as part of their inquiry into the EU’s freshwater policy.
At 10.30am, Wednesday 29 February, Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
- Gustaaf Borchardt, Director of Water, Marine Environment and Chemicals, Environment Directorate-General, European Commission
- Peter Gammeltoft is Head of the Water Resources Protection Unit, Environment Directorate-General, European Commission
The witnesses will be quizzed by the Committee on issues such as:
- the current state of implementation of the Water Framework Directive across the EU, what difficulties have been faced by Member States and what the implications for the Directive might be of worsening economic problems;
- how well water policy concerns have been integrated into the October 2011 Common Agricultural Policy reform proposals;
- whether the current EU framework for water policy is adequate in the face of challenges such as climate change; and
- how the EU can support Member States in sharing water policy knowledge faster and more efficiently to local level.