Professor Dieter Helm, Professor of Energy Policy at the University of Oxford, will appear before the Lords Agriculture, Fisheries, Environment and Energy EU Sub-Committee at 2.15pm on Wednesday 5 December as part of their inquiry into EU energy policies, growth and decarbonisation.
Wednesday 5 December, Committee Room 3A, Palace of Westminster
- Matt Phillips, Head of UK Programme and Head of European Coal Strategy, European Climate Foundation
- David Brewer, Director General, Confederation of UK Coal Producers (CoalPro)
- Professor Dieter Helm, Professor of Energy Policy, University of Oxford
The Committee will question Professor Helm on issues including the future role of gas and renewable energy; the importance of research and development of new technologies and the issues of funding; and an explanation of his views on introducing a carbon tax on goods that incorporate a high carbon content.
The witnesses are likely to face questions on:
- the outlook for coal and the risks for coal investment
- the potential impact on jobs of further reductions in coal production
- the effectiveness of the Emissions Trading System in reducing the amount of coal fired energy
- the implications of enlargement for EU energy policies