On Monday 25 November, senior officials from major union organisations, and a UK business representative, will be questioned by the House of Lords EU Sub Committee on the Internal Market, Infrastructure and Employment investigating European levels of youth unemployment.
Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
- John Wastnage, Head of Employment & Skills, British Chambers of Commerce
- Narmada Thiranagama, Policy and Public Affairs, UNISON
- Richard Exell, Senior Policy Officer, Trade Union Congress
They will be asked a variety of questions, including whether or not the responsibilities of employers and unions are being carried out as effectively as possible.
Other questions in the session include:
- How do current unemployment problems differ from earlier recessions?
- Is it the demand or the supply side of the jobs issue that is the problem?
- What is your view of responses in the UK to the problem, such as the Youth Contract, apprenticeships and work experience?
- How useful are EU actions and programmes, and in what ways?