The House of Lords EU Sub-Committee on the Internal Market heard evidence on from two MEPs who sit on the European Parliament Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee (IMCO).
Malcolm Harbour MEP, Chair of the IMCO and Louis Grech MEP, who sits on the Committee, gave evidence to members of the Sub-Committee.
The Lords Committee questioned the MEPs on a range of areas including:
- What they believe are the priority areas of the Commission’s Single Market Act.
- Whether plans for the completion of the digital single market are ambitious enough.
- Whether Member States are retreating to protectionism following the economic crises and whether enough is being done in regard to implementing the Services Directive.
- Whether impact assessments should include a ‘Single Market Test’ to give an indication of the likely effect of proposed European Legislation on the single market.
- Whether Anglo-Saxon Member States aims of stronger single market can be achieved by accepting other Member states desires for stronger consumer and social protection.
The evidence session was held on 15 November 2010 in the House of Lords.