The House of Lords EU Sub-Committee on External Affairs will hear from development charity WaterAid, and a former Government aid specialist, as part of its investigation into EU-funded water and sanitation projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Thursday 11 July, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Mariame Dem, Head of Region – West Africa, WaterAid
- Daniel Yeo, Senior Policy Analyst – Climate Change & Water Security, WaterAid; and
- Dr Andrew Cotton, Director, Water, Engineering and Development Centre, Loughborough University
Purpose of the session
The Committee will ask the witnesses for their views on a recent report highlighting EU failures in the delivery of a water sanitation and aid programme to Sub-Saharan Africa.
The Committee will also ask a range of questions, such as:
- How can the EU work more effectively with international NGOs who are involved in this sector?
- What steps can the EU take to better secure the financial sustainability of projects be better secured?
- What can the EU do to work more effectively with local communities and local organisations?
- How could the EU monitor its projects more effectively?