The Committee is looking at the ways that individuals and entities affected by EU sanctions have been contesting them in court, including the grounds on which sanctions have been overturned.
Thursday 6th February 2014, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Philip Moser Q.C., Monckton Chambers; and
- Maya Lester, Brick Court Chambers
Maya Lester, a barrister who has expertise in sanctions and has appeared in leading sanctions cases, and Philip Moser QC, who also has particular expertise in UN and EU sanctions cases and has appeared in leading cases, will both give evidence to the Committee on Thursday 6 February.
Questions they will face include:
- What factors lie behind recent court challenges to the EU’s restrictive measures?
- Do the legal challenges reflect weaknesses in the current sanctions process?
- What can be done to address any such weaknesses?
- Are there flaws in the procedures that cover the listing, delisting and potential re-listing of those to be sanctioned?
- How could the situation be improved in relation to sharing classified information in courts?