On Tuesday 18 March, the House of Lords Communications Committee explores the impact of the broadcast election debates in 2010.
In 2011, the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism published a study exploring the first-ever British televised prime ministerial debates with a view to understanding:
- how they were received by the public
- how they were depicted in the press and on television
- how far they registered online
Rather than asking 'who won?', the aim was to understand how far the debates contributed to an improved democratic relationship between politicians and citizens. The Committee will put questions to the editor of the report as well as one of its editorial advisors.
Tuesday 18 March, Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
At 3.30 pm:
- Professor Stephen Coleman, the Institute of Communications Studies, University of Leeds
- Tim Gardam, Chair, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, and Principal, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford