The Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence hears evidence on how AI is already being used in healthcare, its potential future uses, whether the NHS has the capacity to take advantage of AI technology, and what ethical standards may be required in the development and deployment of AI in the UK.
Tuesday 21 November in Committee Room 4A, Palace of Westminster
- Dr Julian Huppert, Chair, Independent Review Panel for DeepMind Health
- Nicola Perrin, Head, Understanding Patient Data, Wellcome Trust
- Dr Sobia Raza, Head of Science, PHG Foundation
- Dame Fiona Caldicott, National Data Guardian for Health and Care, Office of the National Data Guardian
- Dr Hugh Harvey, Clinical Artificial Intelligence Researcher and Consultant Radiologist, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor Martin Severs, Medical Director, NHS Digital
Areas of discussion
- How does the public view the use of AI in healthcare?
- How should the liability and compensation for any errors made by AI applications be handled?
- Would making all publicly-generated health data publicly available, subject to anonymisation, encourage progress in artificial intelligence research and innovation?
- Who should own algorithms developed using NHS data?
- Does the NHS have the capacity to maximise the opportunities and minimise the risks represented by artificial intelligence technology?
- What should the NHS look for when buying artificial intelligence applications that have been developed in specific contexts using unrepresentative datasets?
- Can data ever be truly anonymised?
- Could the creation of data trusts or a data stewardship body effectively broker safe access and ethical use of data?
- In the deal between DeepMind and the Royal Free NHS trust, how was the value of 1.6 million patient records determined? Has the NHS retained any rights over the applications, such as the Streams app, that have been developed as a result?
- What level of transparency should be insisted on when using artificial intelligence in a clinical context?
- How effective is the use of chatbots and virtual medical assistants to triage patients in healthcare?