At 10.15, the Committee will take evidence from Martin Narey, who advises the Government on adoption policy. Immediately following, at 11.15, the Chief Executive of Adoption Matters Northeast, Norman Goodwin, will answer the Committee’s questions.
On Tuesday 24 July 2012, Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster
- Martin Narey, Ministerial Advisor on Adoption
- Norman Goodwin, Chief Executive of Adoption Matters Northwest and executive member of the Consortium of Voluntary Adoption Agencies
The Committee will question the witnesses on a number of issues ranging from the place of voluntary adoption agencies within the adoption system, trans-racial adoption and monitoring the performance of adoption agencies. Specifically, the Committee will ask:
- Does the current adoption system work effectively?
- What has been the impact of the closure of a number of Catholic adoption agencies?
- What are the main support needs of adopted children and their adoptive parents?
- Do current laws strike the right balance between the rights of birth parents and children?
- Is there a problem recruiting potential adopters from particular ethnic groups?