The Joint Committee of Human Rights, chaired by Dr Hywel Francis MP, is conducting an inquiry into the implementation of the right to independent living for disabled people, as guaranteed by Article 19, UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The committee is holding its first evidence session on 24 May 2010 at 2.20pm in Committee Room 4a.
The Committee has arranged to hear evidence from the following witnesses:
At 2.20 pm
- Sue Bott, Director, National Centre for Independent Living
- Marije Davidson, Public Affairs Manager, Radar
- Jaspal Dhani, Chief Executive, UK Disabled People's Council
- Neil Coyle, Director of Policy, Disability Alliance
At 3.20 pm
- Pam Duncan, Policy Officer, and Jim Elder Woodward, Steering Group Convener, Independent Living in Scotland
- Rhian Davies, Chief Executive, and Paul Swann, Policy Officer (Independent Living), Disability Wales
- Monica Wilson, Chief Executive, Disability Action
The meeting is open to members of the public. It is advisable to allow 20 minutes to pass through security checks. There is no system for the prior reservation of seats in Committee Rooms. Members of the public enter via the Visitors Entrance, next to St Stephen's Entrance, Palace of Westminster.