Scope of the inquiry
This inquiry seeks to investigate:
- What level and standard of mobile and broadband coverage does Scotland need to achieve to maximise the economic and social benefits of greater connectivity? To what extent do current plans for the rollout of broadband and mobile coverage in Scotland meet these needs?
- What are the barriers (economic, technical, regulatory, other) to delivering superfast broadband and improved mobile coverage in Scotland? What steps could be taken overcome these challenges?
- Is the level of funding for broadband and mobile phone coverage in Scotland sufficient given the geographic and demographic challenges Scotland faces?
- How well do the different stakeholders (UK Government, the Scottish Government, service providers) work together? Are there ways these relationships could be improved?
- What technology options are available to increase connectivity in rural, and other hard to reach, areas of Scotland? What support is needed to develop and deliver these solutions?
The Committee are particularly keen to hear from members of underrepresented groups.
Evidence will be accepted at least until the end of January 2018, but meetings and oral evidence sessions will begin in mid-Janaury. Written submissions sent in before then will be able to inform those discussions.
Terms of reference: Digital connectivity in Scotland
Send a written submission