The Science and Technology Committee holds a one-off evidence session on the Science budget and Industrial Strategy.
Tuesday 7 November 2017, Committee Room 15, Palace of Westminster
- Rebecca Endean, Strategy Director, UK Research and Innovation
- Professor Richard Jones, Professor of Physics, University of Sheffield
- Professor Paul Boyle, Chair, Research Policy Network, Universities UK
- Alun Evans, Chief Executive, British Academy
At 12 noon
- Dr Ruth McKernan, Chief Executive, Innovate UK
- Dr David Connell, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge
- Tom Thackray, Director for Innovation, CBI
- Tom Morrison-Bell, Head of Public Affairs, techUK
Purpose of the session
The hearing examines the action needed to hit the Government's target of increasing R&D expenditure to reach 2.4% of GDP; the rationale and linkages between the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund and ‘sector deals’; the balance of funding for research and innovation; the relative importance of particular innovation support initiatives; ‘place’-based initiatives for science and innovation; and collaborative research after Brexit.