Terms of Reference
Written submissions of evidence are invited in answer to the following questions:
The objectives and effectiveness of the Better Regulation framework
- The effectiveness of the Better Regulation Executive of the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and the Better Regulation Units within Government departments.
- The effectiveness of the Cabinet Office’s Reducing Regulation sub-Committee and the Regulatory Policy Committee of the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
- The effectiveness of Government initiatives to reduce regulation, including: the Red Tape Challenge, One In Two Out, the moratorium on new regulations for micro-businesses and start-ups; and Focus on Enforcement.
Government departments’ regulatory strategies and performance
- Departments’ performance in reducing regulation, in the current Parliament.
- The extent to which Departments monitor and evaluate their stock of regulation.
- The quality and effectiveness of impact assessments, including their use in relation to European Union legislation.
- The extent to which Departments evaluate the impacts of regulation once it has come into effect.
- The use of legislative reform orders and other deregulatory mechanisms by Departments, and the progress made since the Regulatory Reform Committee’s 2008 report Getting Results: the Better Regulation Executive and the Impact of the Regulatory Reform Agenda.
The scope and impacts of regulation
- The costs and benefits of regulation for businesses, organisations and individuals.
- The extent of consultation by policy makers with businesses, organisations and individuals when formulating regulations.
- Awareness of regulatory requirements in order to ensure compliance.