As part of the Public Administration Select Committee’s (PASC) programme of work into the use of statistics and their use in government, the Committee is conducting its scrutiny by means of ten short studies, each of which focuses on a discrete topic. For some of these studies the Committee will take both written and oral evidence, but for others the Committee will pursue its investigation in writing alone.
This session focuses on topic 4: communicating and publishing statistics. A second session on topic 4 will be held on 12 December. The session with Nick Hurd MP may also cover topic 1: post-legislative scrutiny of the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007.
Particular issues to be explored may include:
- The ease of finding and using statistics;
- How well statistics are communicated by their producers; and
- The production of ad-hoc statistics and the issue of pre-release of statistics.
At 9.30am, Tuesday 11 December 2012, Committee Room 16, Palace of Westminster
- Nick Hurd MP, Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office
At 10.15am, Tuesday 11 December 2012, Committee Room 16, Palace of Westminster
- Michael Blastland, freelance journalist
- Chris Giles, Financial Times
- Will Moy, Full Fact
Image: Parliamentary copyright