10 September 2012
The response addresses the Committee’s recommendations on the following points:
- Primogeniture and hereditary peerages
- Religion and the establishment
- The Royal Marriages Act 1772
- Government Response
The Chair of the Committee, Graham Allen MP, said
"I welcome this response, and look forward to progress being made to modernise the rules of royal succession to remove two elements of discrimination in the current system.
I am also pleased that the Government agrees with the Committee’s view that the Royal Marriages Act is long overdue for reform, and has set out proposals to replace the Act with legislation that would require the sovereign’s consent to the marriages of only the first six people in the line of succession. These are sensible proposals."
- Press requests: Jessica Bridges-Palmer, Committee Media Officer, [email protected] 07917 488 489
- All other requests: Political and Constitutional Reform Committee, Tel: 020 7219 6287 Email: [email protected]