The Northern Ireland Affairs Committee questions senior officials from Switzerland and Norway to gain an insight into existing border arrangements between the EU and non-member states, in particular measures for controlling the movement of goods and people.
Both nations have long standing free trade agreements with the EU; Norway as a member of the European Economic Area, Switzerland through a series of bi-lateral agreements. Each shares lengthy land borders with EU member states over which customs controls are applied to goods crossing the border.
Purpose of the session
The Committee will examine:
- How the trade arrangements agreed with the EU have affected the physical infrastructure in place at border crossings
- How technological solutions have been used to reduce disruption and combat smuggling
- The impact on those who use the border, the level of disruption to commerce, and those who want to cross for business or leisure
Wednesday 1 November 2017, Wilson Room
- Dr Christian Bock, Director General, Federal Customs Administration (Switzerland)
- Brigadier Jürg Noth, Head of the Swiss Border Guard
- Lieutenant Colonel Rebekka Straessle, Chief of Staff, Swiss Border Guard
At 10.15am (approximately)
- Kristin Breiland, Directorate of Norwegian Customs
- Liv Kristin Rundberget, Assistant Director, Directorate of Norwegian Customs