The Justice Select Committee, chaired by Sir Alan Beith, is launching an inquiry on the draft sentencing guideline on drug offences.
The Sentencing Council published the draft guideline for consultation on 28 March 2011. The Sentencing Council has a statutory duty to consult the Justice Committee and the Committee therefore invites written evidence on the issues set out below (although respondents are welcome to address additional issues):
- Is the movement from an offender-based to an offence-based starting point helpful?
- Does the guideline strike the right balance between harm and culpability?
- What should be the approach to the issue of purity in sentencing?
- What is the likely impact of the guidelines on victims and the reduction of re-offending?
- What is the likely impact of the proposed approach to sentences for ‘drug mules’?
- What is the impact on re-offending of confiscation orders for drug offences?
As the Committee wishes to report back to the Council in line with its timetable for consultation submissions should be received by 25 May 2011.